Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tengo una pregunta (or for all you gringos out there, I have a question.)

This week has been amazing, let me tell you. And not just because it's spring break and I've done absolutely nothing and it's been wonderfully stress free! But, I feel like there's been so much...growth...in me. And I really have no clue why. Tuesday night, my first night up in Sedona, I was having my scripture study. And it was amazing. I had one of those inspirations/epiphanies. It felt great. I felt so open to the spirit. Scripture study was just as great Wednesday and Thursday. At first I thought it may have just been because I was kind of separated from the world - in a secluded hotel up in Sedona. But then, Friday night, the day I got back home, I still had a great scripture study. In fact, I had another one of those inspirations/epiphany things. Two in a week! Crazy!

I just feel...awake. I can't really explain. I just feel like things are coming together, and that I'm a little bit more open than before, if that makes sense. Little changes in my life. Holding my tongue here, saying a kind word there. Little things like that. But, here's the deal. My scripture study last night made me step back and think. I want your guys' help here.

So, my ultimate goal in life is to make a difference in the world, even if that difference is to the world of one person. A little while ago, my brother randomly said, "I think I have the definition of love. It's joy." Now, usually my gut reaction to anything my brother says is to disagree. That's just what we do. I agreed to a point, but somehow it felt...selfish. Love isn't about yourself. It's about the other person, I think. So love shouldn't be your own joy. And then, in my scripture study and in reading a talk from the Relief Society General Conference, I now think that love, true and pure love, is desiring others to have joy. Maybe not necessarily being able to give them that joy, because we all have our agency, but wanting them to have joy, and trying to help them gain joy. In other words, love it putting yourself out of the equation. It's being selfless. I feel like the only way to make a difference in the world is through love. In fact, I know that is the only way to make a difference. Which means, I need to think about myself less and think about others a little more.

This is where you come in. Beth Root is naturally a selfish person. It's true. It's something I try to bury down, but it just comes naturally. The natural man, I guess. But, I'm trying to make a difference. So, I have a question for you all. What are maybe some things that people have done for you, or that you do, or just whatever, that make a difference. That express love. That show compassion. I learned that compassion is an action word. If you have compassion, then you will do. What are maybe some things that I can do? Suggestions? Comments? Anything would be welcome. It's times like this where I feel like I can see clearly, and I want so much to change my life little by little, so I can be that person that helps people and makes a difference.

So comment on here, or Facebook me, or whatever. Just help me out here. what are some things that make a difference and show love? I want to try and do them! And, you know, not anything crazy like building houses for homeless people. As awesome as that would be, I'm pretty sure that's out of my capability. And budget. :)

To love another person is to see the face of God. - Don't forget that!

1 comment:

Katie Seigfried said...

I just discovered your blog today :)
And I had some ideas while I read this post, so I'll share them!

My definition of love is being added on to the more I learn about life and Christ. Here's one thing you can do--take a few weeks and for your scripture study, study charity. Look up scriptures, topical guide, talks, quotes, etc. I learned that charity is a lot more than being kind to others; it's also about having an attitude of hopefulness and gratitude, and much more.

Speaking of gratitude, one way you can feel more loving, and JOYful, is by being grateful! Keep a gratitude journal, and write down 3-5 little things you were grateful for that day. Or 3-5 ways in which you saw God's hands in your life. That really opened my eyes to how much God is aware of me and loves me! Then, you will develop a greater sense of gratitude in your life, and in expressing it to others, you add joy to their lives too. You will also feel the need to do more servie for others because you recognize how much is being done for you. Gratitude is the ultimate opposite of selfishness :)

Hope that helps! :)