Monday, November 29, 2010

Little Drummer Boy - or Girl!

So, I have this thing with music. When there's a song that makes me feel warm and fuzzy, then I feel the need to analyze it - not too deeply. Just enough to get the gist of why it was written, and what was meant by the words. It's the quazi-poet in me, I guess. For example: Hey Soul Sister. I love, love LOVE!!! this song. Why? Simply because it's just a super cute love song full of randomness. It's not a typical love song, but then Train doesn't always sing typical songs. Like Drops of Jupiter. So, it makes me super happy. yes, random tangent.

So, anyways, I'm considering doing a random "Let's Discuss Christmas Music and Why it Makes Me Feel Warm and Fuzzy" segment. We'll see if it happens. So, as I took a nice, long nap (which, when I woke up, I felt drunk. Word of the wise, if you go to bed at 1 the previous night, don't take naps, because you'll never want to get up.) I decided I'd listen to some yummy Josh Groban Christmas music. So, the song that comes on just as I'm about to go to sleep is Little Drummer Boy, and my last conscious thought is "I like this song a lot."

Come they told me,
A new born King to see,
Our finest gifts we bring,
To lay before the King,
So to honor Him,
When we come.



Little Baby,
I am a poor boy too,
I have no gift to bring,
That's fit to give the King,
Shall I play for you,
On my drum?



Mary nodded,
The ox and lamb kept time,
I played my drum for Him,
I played my best for Him,

Then He smiled at me,
Me and my drum.

I took off the parum pum pums, because they aren't exactly necessary. So, anyways, part of the reason why I like this song so much, is because it brings me back memories of my piano lessons. It was one of the first Christmas songs I learned on the piano. A super simple version, but still, the Little Drummer Boy all the same. Some people find this song annoying, or pointless, but I feel it is one of the few non-hymns that really grasps the true meaning of Christmas.

Think about it, a poor boy goes to see the baby Jesus, knowing who he is, and that he deserves the best of gifts. He doesn't have much, so he gives what he can - which ends up being his talents. And, in the end, it's this poor drummer girl's gift that the baby Jesus recognizes with a smile.

Now, in relation to the Christmas season, what is the importance? Well, think about the boy's attitude. He knew he needed to give something. And, though he had little, he put his heart into the gift that he gave. Even in this Christmas season, some of us can be a little selfish. We see how little we have  - how that $2000 in my savings account is essential to college, and I can't spend a penny of it more than I have to - but, we always have things we can give. Service. Our talents. Our time. Our love. We don't need to give just fancy shamncy things. That's what the boy understood. So, this Christmas season, while you definitely shouldn't spend more than you should, try to give more of yourself than you normally would. Serve a little more. Show your love a little more. Use your talents to share the spirit a little more. *cough cough go to Vespers cough cough*

I love Christmas! Love it SO much! It makes me happy. And it makes me think of others a little bit more than I usually do. Peace on Earth and all that!

No comments: