Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Weekend happenings

I suppose I could tell you all that went on during the week before the weekend...but all it was was school. And work. And Harry Potter. Then came Thursday night. On to Mesa! How to tell I'm ready for this semester to be over: it gets harder and harder to leave Mesa. Before, I would be so ready to get out of Mesa. I missed it, but knew my place was in Flagstaff. Now, I know my place is in Flag...but I'm tired of the responsibility that ties me there. I need a good solid break. Then I'll be craving responsibility. (I know. A crazy thing to crave. But it happens.)

I saw lots of friends this weekend. Even if I didn't get to have in-depth conversations with them, it feels so good just to SEE them, to BE there with them. I don't think they understand the good it does me to see their happy face, and to see that they did actually miss me, even if it was just a little bit.

Possibly the highlight of this weekend was getting to sing with all of Chamber again. It felt good. I mean, I love to sing, but our bond first began with music. And each time we sing, our bond grows stronger. It's hard to say if we will ever sing all together again in this life time. Which is a little bit depressing to think about, but it was a wonderful thing. Johnathan is leaving for his mission in less than a week. We sang at his farewell. While it's crazy to think that I won't see him for two years (not that I've seen a whole lot of him in the past 5 months - that's right FIVE MONTHS I've been living in Flag.) but I'm incredibly excited for him. He will be such an amazing missionary. He will change the world. Bradley got his mission call. He's leaving in March. That is also crazy to think about, but he also will make an amazing missionary. There's not a doubt in my mind about those two boys leaving, making an impact on the natives they teach, and then coming back as men, ready to change the lives of the people around them.

Lots of other things happened this weekend. I saw family. Other friends (it's incredible how many of them were at Johnathan's farewell). For the first time I struggled to go back home - because as much as I love Mesa, it is only my second home. Flagstaff is my first home, as of right now. After spending time with Chamber and renewing that bond we have, it was like moving to Flagstaff all over again. So many conflicting emotions. But, Chamber is a family and we will be reunited again. And again. And again.  We will be together again. Because families are forever.

In other news...the holidays are upon us. This means it's time for Josh Groban Christmas music and enjoying Bing Crosby's smooth, jazzy voice while watching White Christmas. This means that the world turns to a time of reflection, of love, giving, and gratitude. We all think a little bit less about ourselves and try a little more to do good. The world turns towards Christ and we see the best of people - along with the worst in certain people, but the good usually outweighs the bad. It means family comes around, and I get to spend lots of time in Mesa, hopefully with lots of family AND friends. It means Thanksgiving sometimes gets overlooked, but those who celebrate Christmas in the right ways can celebrate both simultaneously. Thanksgiving is the greatest prelude to Christmas - after all, one of the greatest gifts we've been given is Christ. The holidays are here. Be prepared for chaos. But also prepare yourself so that you can experience the peace alongside the chaos.

No comments: