Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thank you for the music - a tribute.

"Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me"
-ABBA

This Girls Camp was...interesting, for the lack of a better word. Depending on the mood I am when you ask me, I might say it was my best, but I also might say it was my worst. There was just a lot that happened - but I do know all of it has potential to make me stronger.

The weekend before, my grandma Root had a massive stroke. She wasn't expected to live much longer. So, I went off to camp, telling my dad to call one of the leaders if she did happen to pass away. Monday night, the first night up there, a leader pulled me aside to tell me that Grandma wasn't doing well, and that my dad didn't think she'd last a whole lot longer. I was fine. A little sad, but I was expecting it. Then, Tuesday night, I was pulled aside again. This time, I was told that she passed away. And I was devastated.

The thing is, I was expecting it. And I know that her spirit is still living. I know that she's happier now - that she's finally reached her happily ever after (the camp theme). But, I was just completely and utterly devastated. I couldn't face anyone. The rest of the time there, I kept smiling and laughing only because of the girls around me. It's easy to smile for others, and then eventually the smile becomes real.

But, this isn't supposed to be about me - ok, I guess it is a tiny little bit. But this is about my grandma, and what she has done for me. She has given me one of the most wonderful gifts I could ever ask for: music. I was eight years old. My dream was to become the first woman in major league baseball. I planned on being in every sport possible in high school. I was a die-hard sports fan. Then, for Christmas, my grandma said she'd give me piano lessons. I knew a little bit - my mom had taught me a bit. But, basically all I could play was Mary Had a Little Lamb.

So, I learned piano. And, while I didn't exactly like practicing, or all the songs she assigned me to play, I grew to love playing. Once I got into Young Womens, I started learning hymns, and I loved it. I started attempting John Schmidt songs. I played for a niece's baptism. I learned to feel music, not just play it. Because of those piano lessons, I chose band and choir my 9th grade year over volleyball and softball. I gradually lost my athletic skills, because I wasn't working on them. Basically, the only sport I'm decent at now is softball.

Now, I'm wussy, hate exercising, hardly ever watch sports, but music has become my passion. I sing, play piano, am a former drummer/percussionist, and play a wee bit of guitar. I attempted to teach myself violin, but that lasted about a week - I'll prolly need lessons if I ever really want to learn. Music helps me survive life.

I've been going through a whole lot recently. Just struggling to get by - but hey, that's life! And, what's been helping me get through it, is music. I believe it has power to heal the soul. It invites the Spirit, it makes me happy, and I can put my everything into it, whenever I'm having a lousy day. I forget myself in the music. Music is a part of me. Music can also be used as service - a song unto the Lord, to invite the Spirit, to help others. And service makes me happy.

I don't know what would have happened if I never had those piano lessons. Would I be a hardcore athlete? Would I even be in choir? Would I love to run? (Running is something I really dislike doing.) Would I be the person I am now? I don't know, I honestly don't. So, I just want to say, Grandma, thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing. Thank you for the music, for giving it to me.

No comments: