Sunday, August 14, 2011

Two months

Yesterday was August 13th. What's the significance of the this? Well, it marked the two month anniversary of me moving to Flagstaff. It's so crazy to think that I've been living up here for that long. I've been living on my own, paying my own bills, taking care of myself, being solely responsible for myself for two months. I've visited Mesa two times in these two months. (The same amount of times my sister Amy visited Mesa in her whole first semester, as she will often times bitterly remind me when I complain....) I've learned and progressed much these two months. But, at the same time I've done some regressing. I've yet to find the right balance of work, play, and spirituality. I've made many good friends. And in this few months time, I may have even made a few friends that will last, perhaps, into the eternities. I feel like I've strengthened friendships with those in Mesa, despite the fact that we no longer live in the same city. For two months, I have not received a cent of money from my parents. (Goldfish...yes. And perhaps a new belt because when I put on my old one, it was so torn up that it felt like I had no belt on.) My first paycheck up here allowed me to pay more tithing than I ever had at one time. I've come to the point where I'm excited to pay tithing, because it had been awhile since I could pay tithing. And because I feel like I need those blessings associated with tithing. I've paid for student fees and bought 4 out of my 5 textbooks,with all my own money. I've created a way to reward myself without stressing myself out with how much (or little...) money I have. I've started answering phones at work (one of the most intimidating things I've ever done in my life). I've taken care of some adult stuff all by myself...and have some other stuff I still need to do, because I keep forgetting about it.

Above all, I am happy up here. Yes, I get stressed (that's pretty much a given), homesick (usually when things like the first day of school happens for my friends, or my mom's birthday), and  I get into some blue funks. But, overall, I. Am. Happy. Which proves that I am doing what I'm supposed to, that I am where I'm supposed to be. To confirm this even more, I have been given a calling. Last week I was set apart as a relief society instructor. Intimidating...yes. Most definitely! But...I'm almost excited to start teaching. At least once I look past the fact that I'm one of the youngest people there.

Two months. I've been here for two months. I've been coping on my own for two months. It's been over a month since I've seen Mesa and all my peeps that reside there. Two months down...about 4 years to go...I've got this. The Lord is on my side. He will guide me as I work to become the person I am meant to be...and maybe I'll be able to give Satan a few kicks in the face in the process. Two months. I wonder what the next two months will bring me?

1 comment:

Cassie said...

You post in your blog so regularly... So jealous. Good luck btw, remember to increase your talents. It will help you feel better and remind you of your worth. <3 Cassie