Monday, September 6, 2010

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm a poet

On the way to Utah Friday night, I received inspiration on a poem to write. I've been thinking about what to write, since I need 4 original poems for my portfolio. So, since it was like 2 am at the time, it was pitch black. Like, I could see nothing outside the car window. And it freaked me out. Mostly because of my dad's driving. He's not a bad driver, don't get me wrong. But roads are curvy, my imagination is active, I'm terrified of heights, and who knew if there was an edge, and my dad occasionally likes to drive faster than my liking. So, I was probably a little more scared than I should have been. But then I'd fall asleep for twenty minutes, shift positions, sleep some more, wake up, talk a wee bit, then sleep some more. So I didn't freak out the whole night.

But at one point when I was staring out into the creepy darkness, I thought of an idea for the poem. And I wrote it today on the car ride home. And I want to share it, because I want critiquing. So here it is. The title is still iffy.

In the Darkness

I look out into the darkness,
The deep, dark Night.
I see nothing,
Save rare glimpses
Of Light.

Despair fills my heart,
For my eyes see nothing
But the deep, dark Night.

My eyes close tight,
Hoping that when they open,
There'll be no more Night.
But, no, the dark
Still overwhelms.

Fear grips my being,
Fear of the unknown
As strange, eerie sounds
Penetrate the Night and
Come to my ears.

There terror nearly masters me,
Till I see another small Light,
And I'm reminded of
The Dawn.

Hope overtakes the
Fear, despair, and terror,
Every bad thought and feeling
Banished.

For the Dawn breaks
Every morn.
The Sun will come.

Thought clouds shroud the sky,
And also my heart,
The Sun will always come.
Maybe not in the open, or
Clearly seen,
But always there.

The Sun waits to
Shine through the darkness.
There can be no darkness
Without the Light.
There can be no morning
Without the Night.

The terror is gone,
The hope growing strong,
And my eyes are now
Towards the sky,
Searching for the coming
Sun.

Ok, keep in mind that this is free verse. It's not supposed to be exactly flowy, and there's no particular structure. But, please let me know what you think. If you have critics, let me know...But you should know that I tend to take them personally. I try not to, but it just sometimes happens. So, yeah. Still let me know if you have critics. I want to make it super good! Thanks!

P.S. Please notice how I made the whole metaphor thing optional. I could literally be talking about the sun, or, you know, the Son. I felt clever when I was writing it.

1 comment:

Brandon Randall said...

I know that usually criticism (well, at least when it's constructive) is usually more helpful than praise...but sorry. I loved this. A lot. :) The imagery is terrific, I love how you capitalized words like "Sun," "Light," and "Night" (it really personified them and gave them life), and above all...FREE VERSE! YAY! (Sorry. But I'm a huge free verse fan. It's basically all I write in when I can help it, and I think poems are so much more unique that way.) So basically...I love it. :) Title suggestion: Maybe "Out of the Darkness"? Or something about light, or contrasts? Just throwing out a few suggestions.