Friday, February 25, 2011

An eye opening experience

In psychology, we had this mask personality project. The mask represents our personality - probably not that hard to figure out. Mrs. Mickle wanted us to put things on the mask that represents who we are. Not just our traits, because sarcasm and happiness does that equal who a person is. There just...sort of outcomes of who a person is. There's events, and joys, and talents, and goals, things like that that make us who we are. So, we created masks of ourselves. I was very proud of mine. I don't hide a whole lot of myself. What I hide are either things that I'm having a hard time with - I don't like letting people know when I'm not doing good. I like people to think I'm happy - or the thoughts that I have about myself. Hey, I'm a girl. As much as I pretend I don't, I still have insecurities. Not a whole lot, but you'd be hard pressed to find a teenage girl with zero doubts about herself.

Anyways, we presented our masks in class. It's taken all week. And let me tell you, this has been the most depressing week in psychology ever. Let's just say people's lives are not so very happy. I can't get into details because of confidentiality, but I'll just say that I have nothing to complain about in my life. Sure, I have insecurities. Sure, my family is slightly dysfunctional sometimes. Sure I've had some trials and sadness in my life. But I have no reason to ever wallow, or feel sadness for any length of time. I have it good! I have a great family, despite the problems. We never are cruel to each other. Yes, we tease, but when someone gets hurt, apologies are immediate. I have support in whatever I do. I'm surrounded by a (mostly) happy and loving atmosphere.

Some - most - people's lives are just sucky. Honestly. I've lived a very sheltered life, I've realized. I've never really seen real violence. Real cruelty. Real hate. Real evil. It's not a bad thing. But, because of this, I've never realized the reality of it all. It's not just something you see on TV shows. It really truly happens in many people's lives. I've come to really appreciate my situation in life. True, it's not perfect. But I have every reason in the world to be happy.

I've come to realize the importance of where I am today, if that makes sense. The Lord has placed me here for a reason. He placed me in this family, at this time. He placed me in the midst of wonderful people I'm lucky to call my friends. He placed me in the middle of a loving ward family. He placed me in a home full of love and music. He placed me where I can express myself, and not be repressed in that expression. I may be ignored sometimes, but, hey, that's the life of the youngest. I'm not too bitter about it...usually. :) I'm so lucky! No, not lucky. I'm blessed. I don't understand why the Lord would give me all this, while so many others live lives of misery. They struggle to find things to be happy about. Me, I turn my head, and look! There's something, someone, who will put a smile on my face. I don't know why I'm here, I truly don't. Sometimes I feel like others deserve it more. That others would probably be able to do whatever I'm sent to do better than me. Because I see people better than me all around. They're the people I call my friends. But, the Lord knows best. And because of all He has blessed me with, I will fulfil whatever purpose He sent me here to do. I'm here on a mission, and it will be completed. I would be ungrateful to attempt anything less.

Never again will I underestimate the greatness of my life. Here's an invitation. Reflect on your life. Think about all the negative things. Now, think about someone you know who has it worse. I promise you, you know someone who has it worse. Then, think about all the positive things in your life. Then think about that person who has it worse. Don't you feel so blessed? I guarantee that you will always be able to find many positive things in your life. Find reasons to be happy. Happiness is a choice. Take a step out of your shoes and step into someone else's. You will be amazed at the things you will find out about yourself and that person.

And, I also just want to say a thank you to my friends. You know who you are. Heck, who else reads this but my friends?! Haha, but really. I consider one of my greatest blessings the friends I have around me everyday. No one else has it so lucky. Because my friends are the best!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you Beth. You are such an amazing example to me, and I'm grateful that the Lord had our paths cross so I could be blessed by knowing you.