Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Cappella

I probably should be going to bed right now, especially since I have to be up a wee bit earlier for graduation practice. But, I was just writing in my journal, and I wrote down this experience, and I want to share it. And I want to do it while it's still fresh in my brain. Besides, I don't think I could go to sleep with all this rolling around in my head.

So. Today was the last day in A Cappella choir. I had decided last night that I really wanted to sing The Awakening one last time.  It is an AMAZING song that fully expresses my feelings of music. It has such great power, and I wanted to have that be a final memory of choir. I am so glad it became one. I mentioned that I wanted to sing it to Mary Jarman, and she was like, "Ok!" and ran up to Ms. Coffey to tell her my "final request" of singing The Awakening.

I was actually surprised at how many people were willing to sing it, and actually seemed excited about it.  We started singing, and the spirit was definitely there. We weren't singing for technique at all this time. We were singing the words, the meaning. Once we got to the "Awake, awake" part, I couldn't help but smile. And then I started looking around. I made eye contact with Hanna Ellsworth, and she had the biggest smile on her face, showing exactly how I felt. And then, I couldn't help but cry. I cried tears of pure joy. I don't think I've ever done that before. I cry when I feel the spirit and it testifies of something strongly, or when I sad, or when I'm angry, but I've never cried with a feeling of that intense joy.

The words that I could not sing: "Let music never die in me! Forever let my spirit sing! Where ever emptiness is found, let there be joy and glorious sound! Let music never die in me! Forever let my spirit sing!  Let all our voices join as one to praise the Giver of the song!" Ah, such intense feelings. When I looked at Hanna, and saw the same joy in her that I was feeling, I just couldn't contain it! I felt such joy in singing with the choir - I never realized how much I enjoyed singing with those kids until today, the last time we sing as just A Cappella. And, just the fact that they all love music, they feel something in it too. We all were thankful, and were thanking someone with those words. We were united in song. Here's a direct quote from my journal about the singing of the song:

"I cried. They were tears of joy, of such profound joy. One, for having music in my life. And two, for the very fact that we were united together in song, and we all loved it, and I know many of us are grateful for the fact we can sing music."

A Cappella has had many ups and downs this past year. And despite it all, I have loved the choir. There were times where I thought I didn't, just because it was all so frustrating. But, the hard, bitter times made the great times ever better. I truly have learned and grown so much because of A Cappella. The members of the choir mean so much to me. And the altos! Oh, the altos! My altos! More like my sistahs! I have grown to love and respect each of those girls in the altos section so much. I think that, secretly, we were Coffey's favorite. Just sayin'. They've dealt with my craziness, and how ridiculous I got when I was stressed. They somehow got it into their head that I was a good leader, even though I'm pretty sure the only thing I did was smile and tell people to shut up and suck it up.

Oh, A Cappella. I'm going to miss you. And those altos...man. I'm gonna be depending on those new senior altos to keep up the legacy of awesomeness - and of respect (mostly) and hard work (mostly). If any of you read this...I love you guys! Thanks for the memories and for the love. Alto Power!!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I LOVE YOU BETH!! :)

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. I'm gonna miss you Beth!