Sunday, July 24, 2011

To those who came before me

To those who came before me in seasons long ago 
To those who are the loved-ones that I have yet to know 
To those whose noble names I bear, whose light within me burns 
To them in gratitude shall my heart be turned 

To those whose lives of courage prepared the way for me 
Whose works became my heritage, whose harvest I may reap 
Who left for me a legacy that I have yet to earn 
To them in gratitude shall my heart be turned 

To those who came before me in days and years long past 
To those who are the family that I shall know at last 
Who laid a sure foundation for the truth that I have learned 
To them in gratitude shall my heart be turned 

  - Sally Deford


Today is Pioneer Day. Most people outside of the LDS faith have no clue what this is. This is the day we celebrate and show gratitude for those who crossed the plains and went into the Rockie mountains, to escape persecution and establish a place to worship freely. This is the reason that Utah, especially Salt Lake City, is Mormon Central - Mormons have lived there for over 100 years!

They suffered so much for us. I have ancestors who were pioneers. Some even helped settle Arizona, and some old buildings still have bricks made by them. Because of these wonderful people, I am who I am today, I live where I live today. I'm around the people that I am today. I am this person:


Beth Ann Root. A mostly happy soul and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

But...there are many kinds of pioneers, not just those who crossed the plains so many years ago. Each and every one of us have ancestors, people who have come before us, who have left a legacy for us. Because of them, we are who we are today. Think about them, and what they had to suffer - because I can guarantee they did suffer!

Something I've recently been thinking about, is the legacy I'm leaving. I think about my family - the legacy my parents will be leaving.




It's not just a huge amount of family that's their legacy (this isn't even all of us!) It's what they've taught us - and those around them! It's the example they've been, the people they've influenced. The testimony they've instilled in their children and the people they've taught.

So, what is my legacy going to be? I don't have a family that I lead yet. But I have the family in the above picture. What have I done within it to create a legacy worth remembering. What about this family?:


My Chamber family. What have I done that will mean something to my friends and those around me and they will remember, that will somehow be passed down to future generations? Is my life going to mean something to someone? Or will it be completely pointless?

So....what kind of legacy are you leaving? Think about the people in the past that you look up to - to those who came before you. What was it that they did that you look up to so much? I'm sure that when they were doing it, they didn't expect it to effect a person in the far present. They were doing what they thought was right. I believe the way to leave a legacy is to do just that. Live the way you think is right - not falter or changing because of fear. Just be you, and you will change the life of someone, if not multiple people around you, and you WILL leave a legacy. On this day, I think about those who came before me, and how strong  they were, and how faithful they were. And I strive to become as they were.



No comments: