Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Stand All Amazed

"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully He proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me, He was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, He suffered, He bled and died.

Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me,
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I marvel that He would descend from His throne divine,
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That He should extend His great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.


Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me,
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion, can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne, I kneel at His feet.


Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me,
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!"
 - "I Stand All Amazed" Hymn #193

This song is very special to me. I read it almost every week when the sacrament is being passed. It has inspired multiple poems of mine, simply because the words evoke such emotion from me. I one day hope to write something that conveys such a powerful message of Christ is a way such as this hymn. And, it astounds me how, no matter how many times I've read it before, I can still learn something from it. Today, I learned something very special and precious to me. And, I want to share it with you.

The three verses have a word in common - love. Christ is the perfect example of love. He loves so much! The reason why He did what He did was because of His love. His love for you! And what amazes me even more...His love for me. The third verse of this song is the most powerful to me. "I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!" I have this thing with pain. I'm kinda terrified of it. When I'm experiencing pain, I'm usually perfectly fine. But imagining it...it's absolutely awful. I imagine those nails striking His hand, going all the through. It hurts me just to think about it. But, it always causes me to look at my hands. Would I do the same for those around me? More importantly, though...do these hands represent Christ's hands?

What struck me today in sacrament meeting is the importance of love. I mean, love was Christ's whole motivation! If not the love for us, then love for Heavenly Father, and wanting to do His will.

This is how He shows His love for us. The infinite, insurmountable, and perfect love He has:









And then...there will be one day I will be able to meet Him, His hands outstretched towards me - those scarred, marked hands. And, hopefully, when we do meet, my hands will have emulated His. They may not have scars on them like His, but maybe I will have done His work through them.


"I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion, can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet."

I truly do stand all amazed at the love Christ has for me. And I hope I will live my life in a way so that I portray that love to others.

No comments: