Sunday, February 5, 2012

Superheroes

Today's sacrament meeting was...intense, for lack of a better word. When the sacrament was being passed, and as I partook of it, I had a...very special time with the Lord. Very personal. And I don't think I could explain in a way that would suffice the feelings I felt, and the spirit that touched me.

And then the sharing of the testimonies was incredible! Long, but incredible. A friend of mine, Christine, got up to share her testimony and said something that caused me to take a step back and reflect on my life - something I always should do more often. She said that we, as members of this church, are superheroes. Because of this wonderful gift that we have! Everyone on Earth is born with the light of Christ - though, whether they use it or not is their own choice - but it is only when we are confirmed as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, are we given the gift to receive the Holy Ghost. A gift that enables us to have the Holy Ghost with us at all times - as long as we let him come and are in environments that allow him to be with us. We have truth that no one else has. With this truth, and with this spirit - and by living the truth and following the spirit - we are privileged to such amazing happiness. Now, it's not like people outside of the church are all depressed and gloomy every day of their lives. But, I have noticed that, generally, members of the church are happier and have a more positive outlook on life. I never really realized this until about a year ago, in my AP Psychology class. We were assigned to make personality masks - things that have made us who we are, things that are important to us, and, perhaps, things we pretend - the outside of the mask - and what we hide - the inside.  When we presented them in class, it was, literally, the most depressing days in class that I have ever experienced. Everyone talked about these horrible situations they were living it, these trials they went through, and how they struggled for happiness. My presentation...well, I felt like I did mine wrong! Mine was mostly positive. Basically I was like, "These things make me happy, these trials were hard, and made me happy, and this experience made me realize the importance of being happy, even if it's hard!" Mine was just so positive compared to theirs! It seemed like I was so much happier than everyone else! And I realized that it was because of the Church and it's role in my life. I mean, it's not like I'm not happy at every instance of my life. I have had several trials where it was a struggle to put a smile on face. But I don't focus on the negatives of my life. And, if I do, I focus on how those times made me stronger - making them positive! And, this is because if you live the teachings and are striving to truly be the best you can be...well, you'll be happy!

Christine went on to say that the reason we were superheroes wasn't necessarily because we HAVE this knowledge that gives us such great happiness, but because we strive to bring the truth and happiness to others. And...I wondered...am I really being a superhero? Too often lately, I've been thinking about myself. A lot. To the point where, I don't think I'm doing my part in trying to share what I have with others. I've been having some rough times - but nothing is so great that I can't think of others! Last Sunday, I had a special experience during a special number. I thought about how little I have, but it is still enough to give! And I was struck that I need to search for the opportunities to give and to serve. And, this week, I had two experiences where I was able to do just that. And each time, it was incredibly hard. But, I knew that the blessings I will receive will be tenfold of what I gave - though maybe not in the way I expect. (Actually...I'm banking on those blessings. I kinda really need them at the moment.) Because I DO what to be that superhero. Someone that has the ability - and takes the opportunity - to help others. And then, I started thinking about the superheroes in my life, especially recently.

Like Christine. I really don't think I could ever say enough about that girl, or express how truly good she is. She is, quite literally, the most Christlike person I have ever come across. (Except for, like, the few general authorities I have met. But seriously. Out of all people other than them.) She has become one of the greatest strengths and greatest shining lights in my life recently. Seriously. I don't know how my life would be going the past few weeks if she hadn't been a part of my life. Definitely a superhero, not only in my life, but pretty much every life she comes in contact with.

My roommates. Each and everyone of them have helped me in someone. They make me laugh, bring joy into my life, and help strengthen my testimony.

Katie Alston. Dude. This girl can make me laugh and smile, pretty much no matter what. And we both ate a whole pizza together in one night. And I probably could have eaten more. She has an amazing trust in God that has been a great example to me of how I should lead my life.

My parents. :) Being away from them really has forced me to see all that they did - and do - for me. And I probably don't realize just to what extent they give and serve for me. Everytime I go down, they ask me, "So what do you need?" And my response usually is, "Uh, well, I don't exactly need anything. I'm doing fine." They then proceed to say, "Ok, well, what do you want?" and then bombard with me food, that I didn't need at the time. They're pretty much awesome. And I love them. I'd be nowhere without them.

There's so many more. I have so many superheroes in my life. And I think it's time to step up my game so I can be one too.


So. Let's be like these superheroes. But cooler!

No comments: