Thursday, August 19, 2010

If you chance to meet a frown, do not let it stay...

Here's me as of 9:30 last night: rushing home from the stake center, after the stake Standards Night and a youth committee meeting. I hadn't started any homework since I got home from school at 3, read my scriptures, got ready for work, went to work, got home at 6, at dinner, and left, off to the stake center. So, when I got home from that, I needed to take a shower - me without a daily shower = Beth with ridiculously nasty hair. So, I didn't start on my homework until 10. I went to bed at 11 because I was worn out from running around all day. I didn't work on anything I was planning on, but only finished my English homework that was due the next day. Soooo, anyways, I went to bed upset. So then, when I woke up this morning...I was upset.

It started off not too bad. I was just tired, still slightly worn out. My essay in AP Gov even ended up being ok to turn in Monday instead of Friday (Seriously, probably the highlight of the day before 6th hour.) The day went on and got progressively and progressively worse. And then, lunch. Lunch is the time that I get to relax, eat, and just lie there, resting my brain until 5th hour - which I need, because as much as I love AP Psych, that class takes brain power. Instead of relaxing and resting my brain, there was a choir thing, practicing Carry On.

Now, you will never hear me say a bad thing about Miss Coffey. I do have some concerns, but that's just because she's different from Mrs. Jones. But, seriously? Miss Coffey, yes, Carry On is important, but what's more important is getting the message across to those students, not the little pronunciation pet peeves you have. Any other song, I would be right beside you. But this is Carry On. The song is about tradition. and P.S. half the song, the student body sings with us and drowns us out. Kay, now that I'm done complaining...that lunch thing just brought me down. Like a lot.

Then, to top things off, we had an FRQ in Psych. Which I may or may not have failed, because of exhaustion and not reading the question completely...actually, I fixed it after I realized I was writing about the wrong thing, but I had already wasted about half my time, I really have no clue what I wrote the second time around.

So, this crappy day, and just crappy feelings that made the crappy day seem worse (have I complained enough yet?) was not quite over. I had seminary 6th hour. I don't think I've prayed harder for an uplifting lesson in seminary. Literally. And...It. Was. Amazing. My spirits were lifted just about the moment I stepped into the classroom, because of the spirit there and because of my great friends who sit next to me. :) And then the lesson was exactly what I needed. Bro. Dixon was truly led by the spirit and taught with the Spirit of truth.

So, now my crappy day, well, it doesn't seem so crappy anymore. If someone was to ask me how my day went, I would probably say it was pretty good. The good will outweigh the bad every single time. Sadness is a very powerful emotion. It can depress you and those around you. But, happiness can be so much more powerful, if you let it me. Put a smile on your face, because when you see someone smile at you, your day just brightens up. So, brighten someone elses day, and your day will brighten. Don't believe me? Try it out! Where I work, there's lots of people in pain - that's why they come. And I don't exactly work with the patients. I'm a just a file girl who stutters and has trouble talking to strangers. But, I can smile. And when I smile at some of those patients, their face lights up. It doesn't happen all the time. But sometimes, after seeing a grimace of pain, and then a bright smile, the cockles of my heart get warm and I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Smile! Being sad is way over-rated. Being happy is so much better!


Oh! p.s. I saw Gary today! I don't always see him, because he's a quick one that is slightly scared of me. But I caught a glimps of him!

1 comment:

Brandon Randall said...

So I'm completely happy you have a new blog. Like a lot. Yay for blogging! (Speaking of that...a certain person making this comment might need to update...both of mine... :D)