Friday, August 27, 2010

The Lamb

Have you ever read a poem that you just absolutely loved, and needed to share with everyone? One that just makes you feel...just feel? So much? Feel so much that you couldn't even explain it? I've read poems like that. And I'd thought I'd share one with you. This poem just brings a little extra feeling into my being because I first knew it as a song. My ward choir has sung it before - like a long time ago, so I don't remember the whole melody, but I do remember the gist of it. And it gives me goosebumps just to think about it.

The Lamb, by William Blake

   Little Lamb, who made thee?
   Dost thou know who made thee?
Gave thee life & bid thee feed,
By the stream & o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing wooly bright;
Gavet thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice!
   Little Lamb who made thee?
   Dost thou know who made thee?

   Little lamb, I'll tell thee,
   Little lamb I'll tell thee!
He is called by thy name,
For he calls himself a Lamb:
He is meed & he is mild,
He became a little child:
I a child & thou a lamb,
We are called by his name.
   Little Lamb God bless thee.
   Little Lamb God bless thee.

I'm just curious how you all feel about it. Haha I know not many people read this...but if you do, please leave a comment and share your feelings about this poem. It means a lot to me, and gives me comfort - it mentions our likeness with Christ. "We are called by his name." So, I want to know what it means to you. Maybe it will greaten (Erm, is that a word? hmm...yes, it's a word, I've just decided.) my appreciation for it. Please and thank you. :)

3 comments:

Rach said...

This reminds me of something. I've always loved my name. Sounds conceited but it won't once I explain. Rachel is hebrew for "ewe." When Braxton and I talk about Christ's name, "The Good Shepherd," I am happy to be named after the sheep. Daily I think about who I am following. My biggest goal is to let Him lead me along in all that I do. Love you Beth and love your blog. Thanks for the good thoughts!

Brandon Randall said...

William Blake is one of my favorite poets, and ever since I've heard MoTab sing a beautiful setting of this poem, I've loved it. It's so simple...yet so meaningful. Going back to MoTab for a second, I really like how the setting is minor and kind of spare, and how that contrasts with how the poem talks about Christ and all He does for us. So anyways, thank you for posting this. I always love reading your blog. :)

Unknown said...

It's a wonderful poem. I also can't read it without thinking of a setting (John Tavener - http://bit.ly/aMSq2U).