Sunday, June 26, 2011

Knowing good friends = knowing God

Ya'll know how much I love my friends. Today in Sunday School, I had sorta a mini-epiphany. And I felt like sharing it, because it really is the reason why I love my friends so much...

In Sunday School we were asked how we can know Christ and God - not just know of them, but actually know them. Some people said love and service, which were the two that popped into my head. I started thinking about that, and then I started thinking about all the love and service that happens within friendships. And that sparked my mini-epiphany.

We are all children of God, and within the scriptures we have been told that we have Godlike attributes - or, the ability to have Godlike attributes. (fyi everytime I type Godlike, I end up typing goldlike. God = gold? yes?) And I started thinking about my friends.  I have often said that I can see the light of Christ shining through the faces of them. They all have several attributes that I admire and their Christlike light has often led me through dark times. It is when I am closest to these friends that I become closer to my Savior - they are wonderful examples and gently encourage me to do what's right.

So...my thought process this afternoon. We are told to have good friends - for many reasons. I think this one reason is the main reason, because all of the others are kind of...reactions to it. The main reason: good friends can allow for us to know Christ and Heavenly Father, because they are like them. The closer we become to these friends, the closer we draw to Christ and our Father. This is also why it is so important for us to strive to become like the Savior and follow His example, because this can help others to draw near to Him.

Look at your friends. Do you see this man in them? If you can...these are the friends you should cling to. The friends who will be the greatest strength to you. Strive to become like those friends.


I want to be a window to His love
So when you look at me you will see Him
I want to be so pure and clear
That you won’t even know I’m here
‘Cause His love will shine brightly through me

I want to be a doorway to the truth
So when you walk beyond you will find Him
I want to stand so straight and tall
That you won’t notice me at all
But through my open door He will be seen

A window to His love
A doorway to the truth
A bearer of the message
He’d have me bring to you
And with each passing day
I want to fade away
‘Til only He can be seen
And I become a window to His love

I want to be a window to His love
So you can look through me and you’ll see Him
And someday shining through my face
You’ll see His loving countenance
‘Cause I will have become like He is

A window to His love.
A doorway to the truth.
A bearer of the message He'd have me bring to you
And with each passing day
I want to fade away.
'Till only He can be seen And I become...

A window to His love
A doorway to the truth.
A bearer of the message He'd have me bring to you.
And with each passing year
I want to disappear
'Till He's become everything
and I've become a window to His love.

No comments: