Monday, June 20, 2011

The Monument

God,
Before He sent His children to earth
Gave each of them
A very carefully selected package
Of problems.

These,
He promised, smiling,
Are yours alone. No one
Else may have the blessings
These problems will bring you.

And only you
Have the special talents and abilities
That will be needed
To make these problems
Your servants.

Now go down to your birth
And to your forgetfulness. Know that
I love you beyond measure.
These problems that I give you
Are a symbol of that love.

The monument you make of your life
With the help of your problems
Will be a symbol of your
Love for me,
Your Father.
- Blaine M.Yorgason

So, my friend Sarah Merkley introduced me to this poem. In case you couldn't tell from the poems that I have  posted...I like poetry. I feel like most good poetry is like scripture - it is inspired. And, you can often times learn much from it, and what you learn depends on what you're going through, where you are in life, and ultimately, who you are as a person.

The Lord gives us (or maybe, allows us to have) problems and trials because He loves us. Some people might think this is pretty twisted. But, without these things, where is the growth? Where will our strength come from? And, the Lord is always there for us - if we reach out to Him.

Each of these stanzas teach me something different.  But, I kinda wanted to talk about the last stanza. It made me step back and think a bit more than the others ones. Our problems and trials come to define us. How we deal with them, how we react when they happen, how we remember them in the future. We have problems and trials to build us up - but they also have the power to tear us down, if we are not careful.

I often have said the my Ultimate Goal in life, is to make a difference in the world - even if it's a difference in the world of one person. That is what I want my monument to be - that is what most everyone's monument should be: serving others; making a life that is devoted to others. What better way is there to show your love for your Heavenly Father than by serving those around you? So, my question is, how can one make their trials and problems into something that can help others? This is my purpose in life, to make a difference. So, this is my goal, to use my life experiences, no matter the level of difficulty, and somehow use them to build, not only me up, but those around me.

A few of my friends have recently pointed out some of my strengths. I most definitely know many of my weaknesses. It is time to put these things together, along with my problems and trials, and build up my monument. Be a light to those around me. And, somehow, make a difference in the world.

No comments: